So the holidays are here. It’s official – Movember is over, holiday party invites are streaming in, and tis the season for baked goodies, egg nog, and shopping until you drop. Many of us are hosting parties and attending potlucks (or like me, doing both this weekend) and finding a dessert that everyone can eat can be a challenge. I’m gluten free and mostly dairy/egg-free and I have friends who have nut/sesame allergies. So what dessert do you make to delight everyone’s taste buds that’s actually satisfying? It’s this gluten-free vegan apple crumble. I made this a few weeks ago for a friends dinner party and it was described as ‘Christmas in a bowl’. How sweet is that?
The ingredients for the crumble are pretty basic and are usually in my pantry – Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free oats, vegan butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, brown sugar, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. The apples are usually ones I bought in a big bag and forgot to eat during the week, either Gala, Granny Smith or Honey Crisp. And lemon is optional.
After peeling the apples, you just slice them into 1/4″ slices. This helps them cook evenly and faster. What’s great about apple crumble is you can make a huge one like this for a crowd or a smaller one (halve the recipe in an 8″x8″ baking dish). Leftovers are awesome on hot oatmeal for breakfast (love desserts for brekkie).
The topping for this crumble is so easy – just a mix of oats, GF flour, vegan butter and brown sugar. Just mash crumble it up with your fingers all together until the butter is the size of peas and spread over the apple mixture. Then it’s ready to bake. To make ahead, I prepare the crumble until this point, cover it and put it in the fridge until I’m ready to bake it. That way you get the warm apple pie smells wafting through the house while it’s baking.
And don’t forget some dairy-free vanilla ice cream – my fave is Purely Decadent Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk ice cream. Made from coconut milk, it’s got a unique flavour that is amazing that everyone, no matter what their food sensitivities are, will love.
Recipe Apple Crumble (gluten/nut-free, vegan) serves 8
- 3 lbs apples, peeled and cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Canola oil or vegan butter for greasing the pan
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oats
- 6 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup vegan butter, cut into small pieces (1 stick)
Equipment: 9”x13” baking dish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss until apples are evenly coated. Grease the baking dish and pour ingredients into dish in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar and salt and mix until combined. Add butter and using your fingers or a fork, work in the butter until they are pea-sized chunks.
- Spread the topping evenly over the apple filling and bake for about 25 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.