Mexican Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
|May 4, 2012||Filled under Fish & Seafood, Main Dishes, Salads, Sides, Southwestern, Vegetables|
Happy Cinco de Mayo! The fifth of May is a day of celebration and reminds me of all the fun times I had living in Arizona, enjoying all the benefits of living in a mucho Mexican-influenced town. This salad is so fresh and flavourful, yet hearty and packed with protein to keep you full for hours. It’d be great at a summer barbecue or as a side to some fish tacos.
I’ve been packing this salad for lunch all week, served atop crisp romaine lettuce, topped with roasted tomatillo avocado salsa from my fave brand Mad Mexican, and some tortilla chips. If only I could enjoy a fresh margarita at my desk to wash this down. Sigh… dare to dream.
Recipe (Serves 6 to 8 )
- 1 15 oz can black beans (preferably low sodium), rinsed
- 1 12 oz can whole kernal corn (preferably low sodium), rinsed
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado or 2 small, cubed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 lb imitation king crab meat
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine beans, corn, crab meat, and vegetables together. Whisk honey and lime, add to salad, and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, serve with tortilla chips and guacamole. To make vegetarian, omit king crab. To make vegan, replace honey with agave nectar or 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar.