What could be better than a big scoop of cookies’n cream on a hot summer day? How about a chocolate cookie crusted cookies’n cream ice cream pie? Suprisingly, this isn’t too sweet and is dairy/nut/gluten-free. Great for guests with food allergies and chocolate cravings and it’s ‘easy as pie’ to make.
A food processor helps make this dessert a speedy one but you can also put the cookies in a large re-sealable plastic bag and smash the heck out of it with a rolling pin/hammer/frying pan. Great for relieving stress. Gluten-free chocolate vanilla cream cookies from Glutino taste just like regular Oreos. Cousin Lil taste tested for me and she is a tough GF taste critic.
Once you have crumbs, you just add some melted butter and press into the pie dish and bake. To make the gluten free cookies and cream ice cream, I just stirred together some softened vanilla ice cream (dairy free) and smashed cookies. Feel free to play around with flavours too. Chocolate crust + raspberry sorbet. Chocolate chip cookie crust + chocolate ice cream. Vanilla wafers + strawberry ice cream. Yum. Garnish with fresh fruits or even do layers of different ice cream flavours. When I was a teen and before I knew I was lactose-intolerant, I used to wolf down Oreo McFlurries… not healthy. This pie is so much better.
RECIPE Oreo Ice Cream Pie (Serves eight) Gluten/Nut/Dairy Free
- 20 to 25 Gluten Free chocolate cream filled cookies, extras for garnish (I used Glutino brand)
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy butter, melted (I used Earth Balance’s Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 1 Pint dairy-free vanilla ice cream (I used So Delicious Purely Decadent)
Special equipment: 8.5″ pie dish
1. Let ice cream thaw for 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, add 15 cookies and pulse until the cookies become small crumbs. Pour crumbs into a mixing bowl and add melted butter. Mix until combined. Pour into the pie dish and gently press with fingers to create a crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, add remaining 5 to 10 cookies to the food processor and blend until cookies are broken into small chunks. Pour in softened icecream and blend. If ice cream is too thick, let thaw a little longer or pour mixture into a bowl and mix by hand.
4. Spoon ice cream onto cookie crust and press into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze for about 1 hour or until hardened. Cut into slices and garnish with cookies and additional crumbs.