Do you prefer going out to eat or staying in? I love both. Sure it’s nice to be waited on, and no clean up is always a good thing, but sometimes you just want something exactly the way you want it. And eating at home can definitely allow for that. You can make your favourite things, just the way you want, without worrying about what hidden allergens may sneak in.
One area that restaurants often trump home cooking is in the dessert department. Sometimes you just need an indulgent splurge, something sweet, decadent, and sinfully good at the end of your meal. For anyone who’s ever tried, finding a dairy/egg/gluten-free dessert (besides fruit) is tough, especially in restaurants. The other night, after we opted to stay in for dinner, I whipped up this decadent chocolate mousse and it was totally the best part of our meal.
I came across this recipe on Pinterest called ‘3 ingredient chocolate mousse in 5 minutes’ and felt that it might be the right combination for me to tinker with, to create something dairy/egg/gluten-free yet still delicious. (PS follow me on Pinterest here – I am seriously addicted).
I’ve made traditional chocolate mousse many times before and have always found the step of whipping the egg whites to be so fussy. My version here is a combo of chocolate chips, coconut milk, and soy milk and was ready in about 8 minutes. Not bad right? The end result is a mousse with a texture that’s rich and creamy. While this version isn’t as airy and fluffy as a traditional mousse, it’s just as indulgent and satisfying. The canned coconut milk creates a rich creaminess and the soy milk helps lighten up the texture.
This recipe involves two steps: 1) melt chocolate, 2) mix in coconut and soy milk with a hand mixer. You can make just before serving or make ahead and chill in the fridge. A little shredded coconut on top makes for a pretty garnish, but is totally optional. If you’re a hardcore coconut lover, mix in some shredded coconut right into the mousse.
This was so delicious that I will be making it over and over again forever and ever. We served this to a couple of friends the other night and lets just say that one of our guests licked the bowl clean. Literally. What a sweet compliment.
3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse (Dairy-Free)
- Hand mixer
- 1 10 oz bag of dairy-free mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life
- 1/2 cup canned chilled overnight full-fat coconut milk (solid part only (*see recipe note))
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk or other dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup grated coconut (optional)
- Place chocolate chips in a large heat-proof bowl over a pot with 1" of simmering water, so that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Stir with rubber spatula until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and place bowl directly over a large bowl of ice. Add coconut milk and soy milk to chocolate. Using an electric hand mixer, beat ingrendients until blended together and mixture becomes light and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in grated coconut if using. Serve immediately or chill to serve later.