‘Red Velvet’ anything makes people go bananas. To be fair, the ‘Red Velvet’ name itself is so luscious and enticing, that it just lures you in – brilliant marketing for basically a combo of cocoa powder and red food colouring. Personally, I’m kind of grossed out by food colouring in general and but still want to hop on this ‘red velvet’ bandwagon, so this is my all-natural homemade gluten-free version. They’re super easy to whip up thanks to Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix.
To any ‘Red Velvet’ purists out there who might argue that this isn’t really ‘Red Velvet’, well just call these cocoa-berry pancakes instead and enjoy. I promise, you’ll love them.
All Natural 'Red Velvet' Pancakes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen and thawed blackberries or raspberries
- 1 cup Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix
- 1 egg or egg replacer equivalent
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp chocolate chips
- Extra cocoa powder/icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Maple syrup for serving
- Mash the berries and and mix together with baking mix, egg, cocoa powder, water and chocolate chips and mix until there are no lumps. Batter should not be too thin or too thick; add additional water if needed. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto a preheated, lightly oiled griddle or frying pan (medium-low heat). Cook until golden brown, flipping once; pancakes will puff up a little in the middle when done. Serve immediately dusted with cocoa powder and icing sugar and maple syrup.
- Extra pancakes can be cooked, cooled, then wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen or refrigerated. To reheat, remove wrapping and microwave wrapped in a paper towel until hot, approximately one minute per pancake.
found the red velvet pancake recipe by accident when looking for red food coloring without red dye 40. I never thought of the berries to flavor items. want to make cookies for Easter and didn’t know how to make pink. Will also use berries or the hibiscus flowers for Valentines and Christmas red also…but thanks for the pancake recipe. Son’s family is all gluten intolerant, so these will be great.