My name is Vanessa and I’m a snackaholic. If I’m stressed, I snack. If I’m happy, I snack. Entertaining? I snack. You get it. Sometimes I have to be careful that my snack intake on a given day doesn’t outdo my actual meal calories. I have many snack weaknesses, including popcorn and chocolate, so it’s only natural that I would combine the two into a delicious and super easy homemade snack. And since it’s holiday time, it’s the perfect gourmet homemade gift. Like who wouldn’t want a whole bag of chocolate-covered popcorn? I can’t even imagine.
I made two batches out of a HUGE bag of Skinny Pop popcorn from Costco and still had tons of popcorn leftover (the bag is so big, you could probably use it as a magic carpet sled afterwards). Batch one was straightforward classic, super decadent chocolate covered popcorn. The second batch was a combination of popcorn and mini marshmallows drizzled with white and milk chocolate.
Both are intensely delicious and it’s tough to say which is my favourite. There are no limits to what combinations can be made, but possible ingredients include nuts, dried fruit, gluten-free graham crackers, and/or caramel. Once you realize how easy it is to make, this can be whipped up anytime and all the time.
After the chocolate has cooled and hardened, it can be served right away or packed away for a few days in an airtight container. I would probably label this as ‘Gourmet Chocolate Covered Popcorn’ or ‘Artisan Double Chocolate Marshmallow Popcorn’… it’s all in the marketing. Happy snacking.
Chocolate Covered Popcorn
Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 8 cups popcorn (lightly salted)
Double Chocolate Marshmallow Popcorn
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 7 cups popcorn (lightly salted)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
- CHOCOLATE COVERED POPCORN:
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips for 1 minute. Stir and heat for 30 seconds. Repeat until chocolate is melted.
- In a large bowl, add popcorn and pour melted chocolate on top. Stir with a rubber spatula until popcorn is well coated. Spread popcorn on baking tray and place in fridge for 10 minutes or until chocolate hardens. Break apart and serve.
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW POPCORN:
- Add marshmallows and popcorn baking sheet, mix to combine and spread evenly.
- Place chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. Stir and reheat for 30 seconds. Repeat until chocolate is melted. Dip a spoon or butter knife into melted chocolate and drizzle over popcorn. Repeat with white chocolate. Place in fridge for 10 minutes or until chocolate hardens. Break apart and serve.