Everyone is obsessed with Nutella these days. My love of Nutella started when I was a wee kid sneaking scoops of it into my mouth when no one was watching, and old habits die-hard. I try not to bring a jar into the house too often, because it disappears too fast. It ends up on my waffles, toast, crackers, in my cupcakes, etc. But then I discovered this recipe and realized these cookies are probably the ultimate way to enjoy Nutella.
The texture of this cookie is dense, fudgy, and chewy and all kinds of amazing. These cookies remind me of my go-to holiday cookie recipe, chocolate crinkles, which are pretty elaborate and time consuming to make. It’s kind of unbelievable that these Nutella cookies take all of 30 minutes to prep and bake, and yield such a similarly decadent and beautiful cookie.
Even if you don’t bake, or are new to gluten-free baking, this is definitely a winning recipe to boost your baking confidence. The sea salt takes these cookies to the next level of delicious. I brought these to work today to share and they were a huge hit – my colleagues couldn’t tell they were gluten-free, or were so easy to make. Well, until they read this.
I wish I could take credit for inventing something as wonderful as these cookies, but if you Google ‘Nutella cookies’, you will see that there are a zillion versions of this cookie. I’m not sure who the original inventor is, but to whoever you are, congratulations and thank you. This gluten-free version is probably one of the best cookies I have ever had. I realize this is a bold statement, but I have never been as obsessed with a cookie as I am with these. Except French macaroons, in Paris.
I used the small jar of Nutella to make this recipe, leaving only a teensy bit behind to enjoy smothered on something the next day. If I had to make more, I would use this jumbo jar of Nutella that I found at Costco. With this recipe, I’ve finally found a reason good enough to haul the $30 bulk-sized jar of Nutella home – with this jar I can bake many batches of this delicious cookie to share instead of one tiny batch to devour all myself.
Easy 5 Ingredient Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt (Gluten-Free)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- Flaked sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add egg and brown sugar to medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer for 30 seconds. Add Nutella and flour and beat until combined. Dough will be thick. Cover with plastic wrap and place dough in freezer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place balls at least 2 inches apart on parchment paper lined baking sheet or ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until just set. Cookies will be soft and a bit gooey looking. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool for a minute or two on baking sheet before carefully moving to cooling rack. Store cooled cookies in air tight container.