Are you thinking ‘What the what?! Pomegranates in guacamole? This Chinese girl from Canada is crazy.’ Seriously, I don’t blame you but I swear this is the real deal. I’ll always remember my first authentic Mexican meal after moving to Arizona at Barrio Cafe in Phoenix, where they made fresh guacamole right at our table. The waiter wheeled out a little cart with cut-up limes, cilantro, jalapeno, and fresh avocados and smashed them together in a stone mortar and pestle. And just when I thought he was done, he mixed in some fresh pomegranate seeds. That, my friends, was when my mind was officially blown away.
Once I fully comprehended what had just happened, I tried the fresher than fresh guacamole on warm just-fried corn tortilla chips and died. Died and went to taste heaven. In fact, my taste buds did the Three Amigos Salute as the sweet pomegranates blended perfectly with the sour lime juice, sharp red onion, creamy avocado, and salty chips for the ultimate bite. I don’t remember what I had for my main as the rest of the night became a blur of tequila shots, but I do recall our friends losing their minds over the churros and goat’s milk caramel. At least I’ll have the memories of the guacamole for the rest of my days.
This guacamole is great for dipping tortilla chips into, or topping onto some yummy fish tacos, or even on top of a corn and black bean salad. Besides being delicious, avocados are full of healthy things like good fats, fiber, and have more potassium than bananas. Pomegranates are full of anti-oxidants and other good stuff. Plus they’re pretty. Whenever I make this guacamole, it feels like I’m in Arizona all over again. Hope you enjoy.
Guacamole with Pomegranates
- 1 medium ripe Hass avocado (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon Spanish onion (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced coriander/cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- pinch of cayenne or chili powder (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (finely diced (optional))
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds
- Combine all the all the ingredients except for pomegranates into a bowl and mash with a fork. Serve chunky or smooth. Stir in pomegranate seeds and serve immediately with tortilla chips.