Smell ya later winter – summer is around the corner. Days are getting a wee bit longer and that extra bit of daylight lingering in the early evening is such a treat. I find myself daydreaming about all the fun times that the upcoming warmer months will bring. And although it’s not here yet, it’s still kinda nice to enjoy a piece of summer (especially when it’s still chilly outside) and what’s more summer-y that s’mores? How about a gluten-free s’mores brownie? Here’s my step-by-step guide which involves a box of brownie mix from Pamela’s. It makes a pretty big batch and is perfect for sharing.
Fun factoid: S’mores is a contraction of ‘some more’. Read more about its history here.
Step 1: Make graham cracker crust.
Step 2: Add brownie batter.
Step 3: Bake and cool.
Step 4: Prepare ganache.
Step 5: Spread ganache.
Step 6: Spread marshmallows.
Step 7: Toast marshmallows under broiler.
Step 8: Slice and serve.
S’mores Brownie Recipe
- half sheet baking pan (mine is from Sur la Table) or can also use disposable pan
Graham cracker crust:
- 1 ½ cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs (I used Kinnikinnick brand)
- ¼ cup melted butter (vegan or regular)
- 2 Tbsp sugar or brown sugar
- 1 package Pamela’s Gluten Free Brownie Mix
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg or egg replacer equivalent
- 6 ounces dark (semi-sweet or milk chocolate, cut into small pieces)
- ½ cup milk (unsweetened soy or regular)
- 5 cups mini marshmallows (about 1 x 400 gram bag)
- Prepare the crust. In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together until combined. Pour onto parchment lined baking sheet and press down into an even layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, combine Pamela’s Brownie Mix, oil, water, and egg and stir until combined – do not over mix. Pour onto graham crust and spread into even layer. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs. Brownie will look glossy but will dry out when cooling. Do not over bake. Allow to cool.
- Prepare ganache. Place chocolate pieces in a medium heat proof bowl. Heat milk in a small pot on medium heat. Bring to boil and immediately pour over chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixed through. Spread onto cooled brownies. Add marshmallows and spread evenly.
- Heat broiler in oven to high. Place brownies under broiler for a few minutes or until the tops of the marshmallows start to brown – do not leave brownies unattended as they will burn very quickly. Allow to cool and slice to serve. Store in fridge covered for up to 1 week.
- Half sheet baking pan from Sur la Table
- Brownie mix from Pamela's
These look delicious, but it should be noted that most widely-distributed marshmallows are not vegetarian. They contain gelatin, which is made from animal bones.
However, there are a number of vegetarian marshmallows available at stores like Whole Foods!