I love lots of things, but my shortlist includes my hubby, family/friends/dog Pucci, shoes, animal prints, and cake. Seriously, there are few cakes I have encountered in my life that I have not devoured and loved. Frozen Sarah Lee cakes as a kid, mom’s homemade apple cake, fancy restaurant chocolate cake… you get it. So now that I’m gluten-free, my cake eating is limited to basically cake I make myself. And too much cake = too much muffin top. Since summer is around the corner (actually it’s here already in Scottsdale), I better make a figure-friendly cake without fatty oils and butters like this strawberry cake. With this cake, I get to indulge in its berry cakey goodness without the guilt of say a cake from anywhere else.
This recipe is adapted from the muffin recipe on the back of Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix bag and is super easy to make. Important note: do not over mix the batter or you will end up with strawberry bricks. Be really delicate with the batter and only stir until ingredients are just combined.
I layered the strawberries between the batter but if you don’t feel like it, you can just mix the berries in the with batter and bake in the pan – it’s equally delicious and cuts down the prep time. And you can make this cake with any berries you like or even throw in some nuts for a little protein and crunch.
Strawberry Tea Cake (egg-free)
- Two 2"x5" mini loaf pans (store bought disposables are great too)
- 1 1/4 cup Pamela's Gluten Free Baking & Pancake Mix*
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg replacer (I use Ener-G brand)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sliced organic strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients except strawberries. Gently mix together until just combined. Line loaf pans with parchment paper. Scoop one quarter of the batter into each of the tins and smooth to cover bottom. Place a single layer of sliced berries over batter. Divide remaining batter between cakes and smooth. Place a layer of berries down the middle. Bake for 30 - 32 minutes. Place on racks to cool.