Avocado Beet Carrot Salad (ABC Salad)
This salad is a happy salad – it’s colourful, full of unexpected flavour, nutritious, and fast. What’s not to love? It’s bright and cheerful, just like my pal Jerrica who introduced me to this salad.
- 2 carrots (cut into 3 inch strips)
- 2 beets (cut into 1 inch wedges)
- 1 hass avocado (peeled, pitted and quartered)
- 1/4 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice from one orange (including some pulp)
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons canola or sunflower oil or other neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (plus more for drizzling)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring a medium saucepan filled halfway with water to boil. Add carrots and beets and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until beets are tender enough to be pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
While beets and carrots are cooking, prepare dressing. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add cooked and drained carrots and beets to dressing while they are still warm. Add fresh cilantro leaves and toss together to combine. Using a tong or slotted spoon, scoop out beets, carrots and cilantro and place on serving dish(es).
Add quartered avocado to the remaining dressing in mixing bowl and gently spoon dressing over the avocados. Gently place avocados on top of plated beets and carrots and spoon any remaining dressing over the avocado. Drizzle with extra balsamic and serve immediately.
If you use normal beets and carrots and boil them together, the beets will turn the carrots pink. If this isnèt your thing, you can boil the beets and carrots separately.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Experiments.