Apple Crumble (gluten/nut-free, vegan)
So what dessert do you make to delight everyone's taste buds that's actually satisfying? It's this gluten-free vegan apple crumble. I made this a few weeks ago for a friend's dinner party and it was described as 'Christmas in a bowl'. How sweet is that?
- 3 lbs apples (peeled and cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Canola oil or vegan butter for greasing the pan
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oats
- 6 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup vegan butter (cut into small pieces (1 stick))
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss until apples are evenly coated. Grease the baking dish and pour ingredients into dish in an even layer.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar and salt and mix until combined. Add butter and using your fingers or a fork, work in the butter until they are pea-sized chunks.
Spread the topping evenly over the apple filling and bake for about 25 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.