Gluten Free Nutella Marbled Cupcakes
Before going gluten free a few years ago, I used to bake this amazing marble cake using a Martha Stewart recipe. It was such a huge hit that one year I made a whole bunch of them and gave them to my aunt's and grannies and mom for Mother's Day. The marbling of the chocolate and vanilla cake batters were so pretty and the perfectly sweet snack for afternoon tea. I thought I'd try doing a GF cupcake version and use a crunchy hazelnut spread for the marbling. They are so decadent that frosting is completely optional.
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 box GF Yellow Cake Mix (Cherrybrook Kitchen's Gluten Free Dreams is available at WholeFoods)
- 1/2 cup or about 12 tsp chocolate hazelnut spread (I used a crunchy version)
- 1 container chocolate frosting mix (Pamela's Dark Chocolate Frosting Mix is awesome)
- Frangellico hazelnut liqueur or hazelnut coffee
- 12 whole hazelnuts for garnish (optional)
Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Place about 1/3 cup of batter into lined cupcake pan. Microwave hazelnut spread for about 30 seconds or until softened slightly. Add 1 teaspoon of hazelnut spread to the center of the batter. Using a toothpick, swirl the hazelnut spread to creat a marble pattern. Repeat until all 12 cupcakes are prepared and bake according to package directions. Place on baking rack to cool before frosting.
Meanwhile, prepare chocolate frosting. Replace water with either Frangellico or hazelnut coffee. Frost each cupcake using an offset spatula. Garnish with a hazelnut in the middle and serve.