Baked Apple Pie Tortilla with Cinnamon Sugar
This recipe is super easy and it's vegan since I used Earth Balance's Vegan Buttery Sticks instead of real butter. These sticks are amazing and should be in every vegan/dairy intolerant person's fridge. Unlike butter, this is free of hydrogenated oils, trans-fatty acids, and dietary cholesterol.
- 3 organic apples (peeled and diced into 1/4" cubes (I used 2 gala and 1 golden delicious 'cuz that's what was in the fridge))
- 4 Tbsp butter substitute (Earth Balance's Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3/5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 oz organic unsweetened apple sauce
- 3-4 rice tortillas (I got mine from Trader Joes)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Dairy free vanilla ice cream (Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Vanilla Ice Cream is so amazing)
To make filling, melt butter substitute in large pan on medium-low heat. Add spices and stir. When butter is melted, add vanilla and stir. Add the apples, sugar, and lemon juice and turn temperature up to medium high. Continue stirring until the liquid starts to bubble and caramelize into a sticky brown mixture, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in apple sauce, and cool.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lay tortilla on baking sheet and scoop about 1 cup of the apple mixture along the middle. Fold two sides over to cover apple filling and flip over so middle part of tortilla is facing up and gently press down to flatten. Sprink 1/3 of cinnamon sugar on top and bake in oven for 5-6 minutes or until tortilla starts to crisp up and brown and sugar is cooked. Remove from oven and cut in half. Serve with a scoop of ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.