Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Waffles (Gluten-Free)
Southern comfort food gets reimagined and de-glutenized in this sandwich in waffle form – crispy, cheesy, savoury, and full of big flavours. I’ve made two versions here – one vegetarian and with spicy turkey sausage. Either way, these waffles are perfect for breakfast and brunch, or alongside a steamy bowl of Mexican tomato soup.
I had been dreaming of these waffles for a few weeks, imagining what I could throw into these waffles for maximum enjoyment. Sharp cheddar, aromatic chives, spicy jalapeno and smokey turkey sausage ended up being the winning combination. It was all made easy with the help of Pamela’s Products Cornbread & Muffin Mix. The flavour of cornbread is only enhanced by the crispness of the waffle, so this version just made so much more sense to me than a muffin.
Pillar’s Turkey Bites are gluten-free, low in fat, spicy and perfect in these waffles. To make these kid-friendly, just omit the jalapeno and use a milder sausage. Next time I make these, I will swap out the full-fat mild cheddar for low-fat sharp cheddar to get more flavour in each bite with fewer calories.
To sum it up: #glutenfree #cheeseplease #nomnomnom #keepitspicy #betterthanmuffins #mightneedstretchypants
PS – follow me in on instagram under @freshnessgf if you like pictures of food #foodporn
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Waffles
- Waffle maker
- 1 bag Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (preferably low-fat strong cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers (de-seeded)
- 3 Pillars Gluten-free smokey turkey bites chopped (Omit for vegetarian version)
- Cooking spray (gluten-free or canola oil)
- Preheat waffle maker to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together waffle mix, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add butter, eggs, and skim milk and stir until just combined. Add cheese, chives, and jalapenos and stir until just incorporated.
- Spray waffle maker with gluten-free cooking spray or brush with canola oil. Add 1/3 cup to 3/4 cup batter (depending on waffle maker instructions) and a sprinkle of turkey bites. Cook according to waffle maker instrutions.
- Remove waffle from iron and place on a wire rack on a baking pan in 200 degree oven to keep warm.