What could be better than a big scoop of cookies’n cream on a hot summer day? How about a chocolate cookie crusted cookies’n cream ice cream pie? Surprisingly, this isn’t too sweet and is dairy/nut/gluten-free. Great for guests with food allergies and chocolate cravings and it’s ‘easy as pie’ to make.
A food processor helps make this dessert a speedy one but you can also put the cookies in a large resealable plastic bag and smash the heck out of it with a rolling pin/hammer/frying pan. Great for relieving stress. Gluten-free chocolate vanilla cream cookies from Glutino taste just like regular Oreos. Cousin Lil taste-tested for me and she is a tough GF taste critic.
Once you have crumbs, you just add some melted butter and press into the pie dish and bake. To make the gluten-free cookies and cream ice cream, I just stirred together some softened vanilla ice cream (dairy-free) and smashed cookies. Feel free to play around with flavours too. Chocolate crust + raspberry sorbet. Chocolate chip cookie crust + chocolate ice cream. Vanilla wafers + strawberry ice cream. Yum. Garnish with fresh fruits or even do layers of different ice cream flavours. When I was a teen and before I knew I was lactose-intolerant, I used to wolf down Oreo McFlurries… not healthy. This pie is so much better.
Oreo Ice Cream Pie (Gluten/Nut/Dairy Free)
- 8.5" pie dish
- 20 to 25 Gluten Free chocolate cream filled cookies (extras for garnish (I used Glutino brand))
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy butter (melted (I used Earth Balance's Vegan Buttery Sticks))
- 1 Pint dairy-free vanilla ice cream (I used So Delicious Purely Decadent)
- Let ice cream thaw for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, add 15 cookies and pulse until the cookies become small crumbs. Pour crumbs into a mixing bowl and add melted butter. Mix until combined. Pour into the pie dish and gently press with fingers to create a crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add remaining 5 to 10 cookies to the food processor and blend until cookies are broken into small chunks. Pour in softened icecream and blend. If ice cream is too thick, let thaw a little longer or pour mixture into a bowl and mix by hand.
- Spoon ice cream onto cookie crust and press into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze for about 1 hour or until hardened. Cut into slices and garnish with cookies and additional crumbs.